Indecent Decisions

Heard many times never experienced before and when such a thing happens to you.... you simply fail to react.
A routine PT day. We were returning and waiting to catch a six seater in Ahmednagar. Just before we arrived at the junction a similar vehicle loaded with lots of metal scrap, 2 women and a teenager dressed up in the normal rural way passed us. One could clearly see that the people whom we were going to share our seats with were the ones who sold metal scrap to earn a livelihood.
Seeing us coming the driver took a U turn to grab the 3 new customers before anyone else could lure us into a more comfortable situation. It was normal to flood the six seaters with 10, 12 or equivalent (read metal scrap). We hesitated but adjusted sympathizing the weary driver and his desperate attempts to earn another twenty bucks. The ppl who were sitting along with us had to get down at a nearby place so we were just fine with it as we didnt anticipate much discomfort.
As expected their destination arrived and the auto came to a halt. Obviously we were expected to be considerate enough to get down and let them unload their "luggage" and we did so. While they were doing their job I was watching sympathetically at one woman who was struggling to drag a bag filled with scrap towards a shanty.
Meanwhile, I also noticed the other lady staring at me. Instinctively, I thought she was hinting for help and I rushed forward to help her when she was still struggling and leaning to gather another set of bags(these were the days when Readers Digest Survey concluded Mumbai to be the rudest of all cities and I was a Mumbaikar). Taking pride in my honest opinion I forwarded a helping hand. All my noble intentions came to a staggering halt when the same woman sprang back and said
" KYA CHAHIYE TUMKO !!!!"

This sudden reaction took me by surprise and I backed off. Soon I realised that there were things that I apparently missed or misinterpreted. When I was looking at the first lady the other one was staring at me for this and not for help so her attack was nothing but obvious as was her misinterpretation of my ideas.
Thankfully, she was collecting the last one of her assets, they left. Strangely, the driver whom I was expecting to have gained the maximum by charging the overheads was rather upset and staring at his seats. Though slightly confused I was in no mood to analyse and went in to take my seat. What we then saw were nice shining sets punctured all over. I couldnt help but smile thinking that possibly i wasnt the only person who just had the days worst encounter.

4 Comments:
kya chahiye tere ko?
kuchhh bhi kya !!!
Well i wasn't actually reading ur random blabbering till now..had been totally swept off my feet by ur pashunz :p. So does that " bad taste in the mouth" encounter again prove that, mumbai, afterall is the rudest city in the world?
now don't raise your eyebrows. was just joking :d
na re it doesnt ..... i tried helping her :P ...
Post a Comment
<< Home