Rakhi over the years..
Rakhabandhan this year was a different experience. As a matter of fact the experience has been changing a lot since last couple of years but one thing had always remained constant and that was that I have always been at home. As a kid, I eagerly waited for the moment as the younger brother to receive unusually high attention from my sisters for once a year. To see my sisters who most of the time had an upper hand over me in all our squabbles putting a tilak on my forehead, followed by the aarti and then the Rakhi. I have to admit, I felt like God!
This year it was different though my spirits still ran high despite being far from home. I got the Rakhis through mail and what made it really special were the letters that came along. I have always loved it when I used to get them from my sisters along with the Birthday card, that was when all the grudges were brushed aside for a moment, truce made, egos boosted, letters read and preserved. So, this time in one of the letters, my sister wrote - "Call me while you are tying this Rakhi, I want to feel your presence", I was overwhelmed, touched and the emptiness suddenly became more profound. All by myself I tied the Rakhis, called her, applied the tilak but with no aarti unfortunately and went to the class. Back again, I re-read the letters, replied to each one of them and this feeling was much deeper than what it used to be when we exchanged rakhis for gifts. I was happy at the end of it :).
In that elated state of mind I recalled some memories of how I saw this festival evolve as a kid to whatever I am today. Back in school (say till Std 8th) this was always a time of confusion. Firstly, I think girls couldn't understand their feelings for guys, there seemed to be an eternal confusion about what kind of love they really felt, was it brotherly love or the other "not to be talked" kinds. On the other hand, some guys took pride in the no.of Rakhis they got in the class as a mark of popularity and the others ridiculed and dreaded the same. As the years progressed (9th to 12th), girls became more discerning about whom they would tie the rakhis. It became a means of risk mitigation, after all brothers are meant to protect you! Most of the times the guys had no option but to oblige. Also, there were more startling discoveries as some forgot the bonds forged earlier. Not their fault entirely. After all, To Err is Human! By the time we were in college, it had outlived its utility as something to be toyed around with, though exceptions still existed but it was a heartening change.
Today it is one of the most awaited festivals and I cringe at the thought of not being at home. I hope I would be home the next year.

4 Comments:
*sigh* I so wish you be with your sisters for rakhi next year...That was really poignant...
Oh well n I remeber till-std-8th-part;)
Haha I feel like laughing at it now.That sure was so true!
Confused,Yes!Maybe...
Aah thats very sweet... thanks for that Mansi!
Well how can we forget those days.. and see you too seem to agree with what I am saying.. it was super fun nonetheless!
ha ha... :D my first crush was in first std. !!! :D :D :D and I tied rakhi to the same guy in 4th std. i guess.. :D it was the popularity syndrome only.. he was too happy counting the no. of rakhis he had got... and I did not know.. whatever it was... :D :D :D as you said.. the brotherly love or the other kinds... :D :D ;-) ;-)
Mast..!! nicely captured yeah..!!! :) :)
See.. I am right most of the times ;).. Thanks!
Post a Comment
<< Home